Also? The financial benefits of being a non-drinker are insane. Forget the Latte Factor: others have also noted that not drinking alcohol suddenly boosts their budget. I remember being shocked into silence the first time I heard that someone had racked up a $150 bar tab. My house, which I own, I saved up for between the ages of 30 and 35 - it's the house that No Bar Tabs built. Now that I'm there, nothing ever stops me from driving home to its slightly distant location.Then there are the aspects that aren't pros or cons, they just are. Yes, I have fun, but...my standards are different. Some parties in New Zealand are hosted in raw spaces to avoid damage to houses due to enthused drinkers. But I am swiftly bored hanging out in somebody's garage with a bag of potato chips and drunk people. Food has to be good - company has to be interesting - I admit, I'll get off the dance floor sooner - I'm going to admire every detail of your outfit. I remember what I did and said, and what everyone else did, too. And life has rolled on. Nondrinking hasn't barred me from experiences or misfortunes. As a nondrinker, I have ridden pillion on a motorcycle at 5 AM through the last of lurid old Times Square, modeled, partied in the Meatpacking District in New York, visited ten countries, been mugged, been divorced, gone urban spelunking, enjoyed world-class cuisine, danced at big band Motown and radical feminist punk concerts, flirted badly, flirted with shocking success, and celebrated getting engaged again. This month, I support fellow Wellington redheads raising money for the FebFast - please consider donating to help young New Zealanders learn how to enjoy alcohol responsibly.
Share With Your Family
- Help Us, Great Warrior - The bravest, cutest, cheekiest girl-power warrior in all the land.
- A Redtail's Dream - Lushly illustrated webcomic based on Finnish mythology about a boy and his shapeshifting dog. Appropriately snowy! It's complete, too, so you can read it from beginning to ending.
- Sauerkraut Station - A science fiction novella about a girl who lives on a space station, the boy traveler who comes through, and the events that they endure. Along with sauerkraut recipes and what it means to make a difference.
- Drowning Kiribati - The other side of climate change - temperature increases and sea level rise - in the small island nation of Kiribati. More articles here.
- The Conversation - "The Conversation is a collaboration between editors and academics to provide informed news analysis and commentary that’s free to read and republish." An intellectual friend sent this to me and I promptly started screaming, "Where has this been all my life?"
- The Blue Castle - Escape into this adult novel from L.M. Montgomery (you may know her better as the author of Anne of Green Gables). Bobbed hair! Disreputable fellas in jalopies! Unwed mothers! Heavens to Murgatroyd!
- Books, Free or Worth It - I recommend more free online long reads here. Victorian scenery-chewing and Edwardian South Seas adventures await.
Blog Posts of Mine
- Vintage Precious Jewelry - "Vintage jewelry seems to baffle people as much as, if not more than, vintage furs. And it has an even higher cargo of expectations about its value and emotional significance. Plus, who doesn’t like looking at shiny sparkly things? So: a post about vintage precious jewelry."
- Five Things to Read Instead of 50 Shades of Gray - Gnh. The 50 Shades movie is coming soon. Here are some other options that might make you glad you don't have anywhere to go...